Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage videos

Vintage videos

1970/71 -19 December 1970

Chelsea 2 West Ham 1

Two goals by Peter Osgood was enough to see off West Ham, though they got one back with an effort by Frank Lampard Snr. I was about 12 at the time and remember watching this game from the Shed, which was 75% full of West Ham fans.

1966/67 - 20 August 1966

West Ham 1 Chelsea 2

First game of the season, just after England won the World Cup. Tommy Docherty had recently sold Terry Venables to the scum from N17, and his replacement Charlie Cooke made his Chelsea league debut in this game. Charlie had a great game, giving the fans a taste of what was to come, managing to bag a goal along with Johnny Hollins. Ronnie Boyce scored for West Ham.

Banned
    Good old Charlie! A sight for sore eyes that line up! Thanks BlueBeard!

1971/72 - 26 February 1972

Orient 3 Chelsea 2 (FA Cup 5th Round)

Bloody awful season for Chelsea. Having won the FA Cup and Cup Winners Cup in the previous two years, there was quite a bit of expectation at the Bridge. However, we were knocked out of the Cup Winners Cup by the mighty Atvidaberg of Sweden on away goals, lost in this FA Cup match at Orient, then lost the League Cup Final against Stoke the following week and finished 7th in the league.
    I was there as Chelsea went two up in this all-ticket match, with goals by David Webb and Peter Osgood, but then we just took our foot off the gas and let Orient back in - some things never change!

1969/70 - 17 January 1970

Arsenal 0 Chelsea 3

Excellent result at Highbury, especially as we'd lost 2-5 at home to Leeds the previous week (albeit with Tommy Hughes in goal). The game was played on an awful pitch, though this was considered normal for the time. A freak goal by John Hollins, followed up by goals for Ian Hutchinson and Tommy Baldwin were more than enough to see off Arsenal. Sorry for the poor picture quality!

1970/71 - 22 August 1970

West Ham 2 Chelsea 2

Early season encounter at Upton Park, which saw West Ham go in 2-0 up at half-time. Keith Weller scored his first ever Chelsea goals to make the final score 2-2. This was my first ever visit to Upton Park, pretty traumatic for a 12 year-old Chelsea fan - lol.

1976/77 - 7 May 1977

Wolves 1 Chelsea 1 (Division 2)

A truly memorable day for fans of both clubs. Chelsea fans were supposedly banned, but thousands of us made our way up the M6 to Molineux for a game which would end with both sides being promoted from Division 2 - you can't ban a Chelsea fan!!!
    Lots of crowd trouble before during and after the match, which was great, but more importantly, a goal by Tommy Langley followed by a John Richards equaliser saw Wolves go up as Champions, with us joining them as runners'-up. Superb day out, I'll never forget it.

1976/77 - 14 May 1977

Chelsea 4 Hull City 0 (Division 2)

Final game of the season, played the week following the match at Wolves which secured promotion. This was always going to be a celebratory day at the Bridge, and the team didn't let us down, Steve Finnieston bagging a hat-trick and Ian Britton getting our other goal. The press made a lot of the fact there were frequent pitch invasions during the match, though it was mainly kids just running on to celebrate each goal.

1969/70 - 20 December 1969

Chelsea 3 Manchester City 1

I think I went to every home game during the 69/70 season, and this was one of the best. Two goals by David Webb and another by Ian Hutchinson was enough to keep me happy, while Mike Summerbee scored in reply. If you look carefully, you may see a very young Stan Bowles playing for City.

Last edited by BlueBeard; 5th January 2012 at 16:14.

1970/71 - 10 October 1970

Chelsea 1 Manchester City 1

Great goal by Colin Bell put City in the lead, but Keith Weller equalised for the Blues, both goals coming in the first half. I remember this game quite well - I'm pretty sure I went to all the home games during the 70/71 season too, plus the London aways (Tottenham, Arsenal, Crystal Palace & West Ham).

1970/71 - 21 May 1971

Chelsea 2 Real Madrid 1 (European Cup Winners' Cup Final Replay)

Great memories of the Blues lifting the ECWC in Athens at the second attempt, just two days after the first match - and thereby winning a European trophy before Liverpool did. The first match was a 1-1 draw played in front of 45,000 fans, whereas the replay was watched by only 24,000 due to most fans having to return home. John Dempsey scored a cracking first goal with Ossie getting the second - Fleitas got one back for Real near the end, but it was a well deserved victory for Chelsea that night. I can't remember whether this game was shown live on British TV or whether I had to listen on the radio - doesn't matter now, we won!

1966/1967 - 1 October 1966

Manchester City 1 Chelsea 4 (Division 1)

Docherty's Diamonds doing their stuff at Maine Road, albeit in red shirts and black shorts - Chelsea were undefeated so far and were playing great football. Neil Young scored for City, while Chelsea's goals were scored by Bobby Tambling, Joe Kirkup (a bit of a rarity!), Tommy Baldwin & Peter Osgood, who celebrated in classic fashion by raising two fingers to the City fans in the Kippaxe. Sadly, Ossie had his leg broken four days later in a League Cup tie at Blackpool and was out for the rest of the season - Chelsea weren't the same side without him, and ended up in 9th. place.

1969/1970 - 27 September 1969

Chelsea 3 Arsenal 0 (Division 1)

Another game that I attended, a good performance by Chelsea in a great season for the Blues. Alan Birchenall scored two goals in this game, and Tommy Baldwin got the other, while Peter Bonetti put in an excellent performance at the other end. Teams that day: -

Chelsea: Peter Bonetti, Johnny Boyle, Eddie McCreadie, John Hollins, John Dempsey, Marvin Hinton, Charlie Cooke, Peter Houseman, Tommy Baldwin, Alan Birchenall, Peter Osgood.

Arsenal: Malcolm Webster, Peter Storey, Bob McNab, David Court, Frank McLintock, Peter Simpson, Jimmy Robertson, Jon Sammels, John Radford, George Graham, Charlie George.

1968/1969 - 1 March 1969

Chelsea 1 West Bromwich Albion 2 (FA Cup 6th. Round)

Yet another game I attended! Chelsea were favourites to win this one, but things didn't go our way. David Webb headed us in front, but Albion came back with goals by Tony 'Bomber' Brown and Jeff Astle. Albion also had a penalty taken by Tony Brown that was brilliantly saved by Peter Bonetti. Typical Chelsea, the following week we went up to The Hawthorns and beat Albion 3-0.

Chelsea: Peter Bonetti, Ron Harris, Eddie McCreadie (Johnny Boyle), Peter Osgood, John Dempsey, David Webb, Charlie Cooke, John Hollins, Alan Birchenall, Bobby Tambling, Peter Houseman.

WBA: John Osborne, Doug Fraser, Ray Wilson, Tony Brown, John Talbut, John Kaye, Dennis Martin, Graham Lovell, Jeff Astle, Bobby Hope, Asa Hartford (Rick Kryzwicki)

1984/1985 - 25 August 1984

Arsenal 1 Chelsea 1 (Division 1)

Opening day of the season, Chelsea's first game since winning promotion from Division 2, and an early morning kick-off - I wouldn't have missed it for the world, and nor did about 20,000 more Chelsea fans. We packed out the Clock End terracing and outsung the North Bank throughout, a great day. Arsenal scored first through Paul Mariner, but Kerry Dixon scored one of his classic goals in front of the Chelsea end to equalise.

Arsenal: Pat Jennings, Viv Anderson, Kenny Sansom, Brian Talbot, David O'Leary, Tommy Caton, Stewart Robson, Paul Davis, Paul Mariner, Tony Woodcock, Ian Allinson.

Chelsea: Eddie Niedzwiecki, Colin Lee, Doug Rougvie, Colin Pates, Joe McLaughlin, Dale Jasper, Pat Nevin, Nigel Spackman, Kerry Dixon, David Speedie, Paul Canoville.

Banned
    Thanks for posting these videso of the 60's and 70's BlueBeard. The short shorts are sending my blood pressure sky high!!

1984/85 - 19 January 1985

Chelsea 1 Arsenal 1 (Division 1)

The return match of the above game on an extremely muddy Stamford Bridge pitch. Needless to say I was there again, only to see Paul Mariner score for Arsenal again, but David Speedie got an excellent equaliser in the last minute.

Chelsea: Eddie Niedzwiecki, Darren Wood, Doug Rougvie, Colin Pates, Joe McLaughlin, Keith Jones, Pat Nevin (Colin Lee), Nigel Spackman, Kerry Dixon, David Speedie, Paul Canoville.

Arsenal: John Lukic, Viv Anderson, Kenny Sansom, Brian Talbot, David O'Leary, Tommy Caton, Stewart Robson, Steve Williams, Paul Mariner, Tony Woodcock, Charlie Nicholas.

1976/1977 - 20 November 1976

Nottingham Forest 1 Chelsea 1 (Division 2)

Another great day out, and there were so many Chelsea fans made the trip to Nottingham that the local police had to put us in the home end (the Trent End) and put the Forest fans elsewhere. The season had been a bit up and down up to now, and we didn't really find a good run of form until about March which finally got us promoted. Martin O'Neill opened the scoring for Forest, and Ian Britton headed our reply.

1985/1986 - 28 December 1985

Chelsea 2 Tottenham 0 (Division 1)

Another memorable day at the Bridge, as the Blues beat the hated Tottenham - a Christmas game, and the scum from N17 couldn't even fill the away end, pathetic. Kerry Dixon gave us the lead in the first half, and a Nigel Spackman penalty sealed our win.

Chelsea: Eddie Niedzwiecki, Doug Rougvie, Keith Dublin, Colin Pates, Joe McLaughlin, Jerry Murphy, Pat Nevin, Nigel Spackman, Kerry Dixon, David Speedie, Kevin McAllister (Paul Canoville).

Tottenham: Ray Clemence, Danny Thomas (Ossie Ardiles), Chris Hughton, Gary Stevens, Gary Mabbutt, Steve Perryman, Paul Allen, Mark Falco, Clive Allen, Glenn Hoddle, Chris Waddle.

1985/1986 - 9 April 1986

Manchester United 1 Chelsea 2 (Division 1)

An excellent display by the Blues from pre-Fergie days when we didn't hate United quite so much. Jesper Olsen got United's goal from the penalty spot, but Kerry Dixon was at his best, scoring twice for Chelsea and effectively ending Ron Atkinson's title aspirations in the process.

Manchester United: Chris Turner, John Gidman, Arthur Albiston, Michael Duxbury, Paul McGrath, Mark Higgins, Bryan Robson, Gordon Strachan (Frank Stapleton), Mark Hughes, Peter Davenport, Jesper Olsen.

Chelsea: Tony Godden, Darren Wood, Doug Rougvie, Colin Pates, Joe McLaughlin, Mickey Hazard, Pat Nevin, Nigel Spackman, Kerry Dixon, David Speedie, Jerry Murphy

Thread Information